Saturday, October 25, 2008

2008-10-25-Trek / Ride to Prachitgad Kandhar Doh and Bhairongad

Here are the snaps -

And those who are patient enough to read the whole thing here it goes-

Finally a long cherished dream fulfilled - to trek in the dense jungles of the Koyna Warna basin on the Ghats between Chiplun and Ratnagiri. I had to do it solo due to lack of company and postponing this plan for almost 3 years. Thanks to Savio who helped me a lot to plan this trip.

I stared on 25-Oct-08 on my bike to Koynanagar via NH-17 (Mumbai-Goa highway) which would be my first base before I venture into the unknown dirt road to a small village Patharpunj which is off the main Chiplun Karad road via Kumbharli Ghat.

The dirt road is some thing to write about and exactly the type on which I would like to ride all day long. It started at the base of a hill and within some time climbing through dense forest came to the mountain top which was a huge plateau and gave a good view of the surrounding mountains. After some time again it went around the huge massif with the route being densely forested and very bad and rocky at some stretches. Finally after some asking around I reached the Patharpunj village which would be my home for the next 4 days.

It was a nice little village with around 20 houses. I fixed my place to stay and the guides who would be with me for the next 2 days for my trek. After which 2 boys showed me around the village. It was a nice guided tour indeedJ. After having a simple meal of Aloo Dal, Bhakri and rice at 7:00 pm it was time to sleep.

Next day we left early at around 7:00 am with the 2 guides Raghu and Pandurang along with 2 dogs who would warn us about any danger or wild animals nearby.  This season I was the first trekker to have come there so the trails would not be well marked due to the overgrown jungles during the heavy monsoons there. All the more fun I thought. I was all enthu by seeing that finally a long cherished dream to trek in these dense jungles would be fulfilled.

Initially the route out of the village was well marked. After some time the fun started. We could only proceed further on gut feel and the guide’s previous experience. The route alternated between very thick jungles to a walk in the open plateau full of overgrown grass. Pandurang had to use his sickle many times to cut the route for us due to the creepers and overgrown bushes blocking our path. The walk through the thick jungles was very satisfying with almost no sun reaching the ground, cool breeze blowing with the typical scent of forest and very clean air to breadth.

We also spotted around 7 Bisons (Gaur Yeda or wild buffalo as the locals call) but unfortunately they were very quick in running away into the jungles before I could click a snap.

We finally reached the spot from where we could see Parchitgad at around 10:00 am. That was a very good timing (3 hours) since we had taken a short cut directly through the  jungle which avoided the tiring walk through 2 “Sadas” or volcanic stony waste which is  the usual route.

We explored the ruined fort for about an hour. There was an old temple at the top with 4 cannons. At the other side there are 7 water tanks cut out from the rocks which have crystal clear cool potable water throughout the year. The fort was full of overgrown grass and nothing much to see except the ruins. But the walk through the jungles to reach it is anytime worth it.

After filling our bottles from the tank we started for the toughest part of the trek at 11:30 am. That is the track from Prachitgad to Kandhar Doh waterfalls deep within the woods near the back waters of the huge Warna Lake (Chandoli wildlife sanctuary). The route passes through the deserted village Rundhiv. This part of the trek is totally unknown with thick jungles and “Sada” (Volcanic stony waste) to be passed. The route is infested with leeches which made a great blood feast of our feet. But yes this was the most beautiful part of the trek.

The jungles here are so dense that once even though the gap between me and the super fast guides was around 50 feet I could not spot them through the dense growth of creepers and bushes. I had to call them out and by hearing their voice and estimating the direction was able to catch up with them again.

It was a very long (5 hours from Prachitgad) walk to Kandhar Doh waterfalls and I was almost at the end of my cardiovascular and muscular endurance when we finally reached the base of the water fall at 4:00 pm.

I relaxed at the campsite which Raghu and Pandurang setup between the rocks near the waterfall. In the mean time without taking any rest they took out their fishing nets and went traversing the river to catch fish for our dinner and also to take some back to the village. I was just resting my over tired legs, cleaning up the bloody mess of my legs due to the leeches, and enjoying the lush green valley. It was as if the time stood still – just staring at the jungles around and hearing the countless bird chirping around the trees. An ideal getaway definition for me.

It was getting dark so we started preparing the fish for dinner and also the good old MTR rice. After a quick dinner in the dark it was time for much needed sleep. I was sleeping on a very flat rock away from the camp fire but very comfy. But as the night progressed it started getting windy and cold so I shifted to a very cramped space by the campfire where the guides were sleeping and had a good nights sleep although my bones and muscles aching to the core.

Next morning it was time for us to get back to the village. But not before seeing the majestic Kandhar Doh falls, which was just 10 minutes hopping through the big rocks from our campsite. I was completely mesmerized by the beauty of the falls and the lush green surrounding valley. Something like a Jurassic park movie setup. I just sat there and gazed at the scenery for 2 hours without realizing that it was 10:00 am and time to move out, until Raghu came and told me about it.

After a good 4 hour walk through very dense forest and crossing numerous streams which invariably used to be our break points for resting and filling up water, we reached Patharpunj village at 4:00 pm.

In between we took a break near Male village where Pandurang got Desi daru to celebrate the success of our trek. We all had a nice time sipping Narangi by a small stream sitting in the shade of a tree.

After reaching the village all I could do is layout my mattress and go to sleep. I was dead tired; you can say the most tiring trek I have ever done. The whole evening and night went in resting and recuperating my tired legs and knees which were paining a lot.

A small earthquake shook the whole village in the evening when I was sitting on the door step of the house. It is a very common occurrence there since Koyna region is a very active seismologic site.

The next morning went in resting and sitting by the village school observing the village kids playing on the field. When do we get such time in our crazy fast paced city life where we observe some thing without any other thoughts in mind or any sense of time?

By 11:00 am I was again refreshed and decided to go for a short trek to Bhairongad fort. There is a dirt road all the way to the temple (5 km) after which the trek is only ½ hour.  The dirt road was as usual at its best with dense forest. The temple was under construction and the eerie charm of the old one was absent. I was disappointed and carried on with the trek to Bhairongad Fort. Within no time we reached the col between the upper and lower fort. Instead of going to either of them (both of them are in ruined condition) we went to the water tank behind the upper fort and sat there for an hour just enjoying the valley view and the surrounding mountains, Kumbharli ghat and small village down hill.

Evening was spent relaxing at the village school and atop a hill from where you get a very good view of the Patharpunj village. A very nice ending to one of the most difficult treks I have done.

Next morning I left for Mumbai with one of the villagers who wanted a lift till Patan. I wanted to enjoy my last few hours in the jungle so we went real slow taking lot of breaks and clicking snaps. Bhaskar also showed me some good points from where I got some real good shots of the landscape.

After dropping Bhaskar at Patan, it was a fast and uneventful ride back to Mumbai via Pune (NH-4).

No comments:

Post a Comment